Re: Rear reverse lights on a Series IV Alpine and/or Tiger

To: William van Zwanenberg <willvz@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Rear reverse lights on a Series IV Alpine and/or Tiger
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:35:00 -0700
William,

The search can be frustrating.  I have seen the pictures that Rootes
published of the back-up lights. They are reproduced in various popular
Tiger books, and they are ALL wrong!!!!

I have included the official Rootes Accessories Manual for Rootes Alpine
/ Minx / Tiger page for this accessory, along with clocks and
instruments.  (will NOT pass the List Filter). The picture shows the
back-up lights below the bumper (correct), mounted on the curving-back
rear body panel (correct), and about 6 inches inboard of the rear bumper
guards (dead wrong).  This is NOT a picture, but an illustration they
knocked together.

I have a set of these lights, and they are made in a left and right side
version. The base mount that fits against the body is double-curved to
fit the curved sheet metal. It also has a rubber gasket to protect the
paint.  Careful sliding of this casting shows there is only ONE place
where the curves of the mount match the body, and that is on the outside
of the bumper guards.  On my Tiger model the wiring is already in  place
to attach the light, but the reverse light switch kit is not provided.
It is available from classic Mustang stores for the Top Loader, and
mounts on the shift mechanism. Wire already there.

The appearance will be much closer to the early Mustang back-up light
position than this poor picture that everybody uses. It is a Rootes pic,
after all!

Hope this helps, it is part of a complete brochure we hope to put on our
TigersUnited.com web site in a PDF format. Unfortunately the great copy
is over 1 Mbyte in size, and I am not sure how many are interested in
that large a download for the original accessories manual.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman
Editor

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
image008.jpg]