More Fun With The Tiger & A Question

Subject: More Fun With The Tiger & A Question
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 21:13:45 -0700
It's new radiator time since I had a couple of leaks repaired and,
within a day, another leak sprung up. The radiator shop had warned me
this might happen, saying that there is a lot of corrosion around the
outside seams. I put in two bottles of Bars Leaks which seems to have
temporarily stopped the leak, but I'm going to start my cooling system
reading again to decide which way to go with a new radiator, aluminum or
steel, as I want to improve the cooling as much as I can. Also, is there
any such thing as a radiator shroud that is "adjustable" in and out? My
fan blades sit completely inside the stock shrowd, and I know the back
third of the blades are supposed to be outside the shrowd.

I finally solved my intermittent brake light problem once and for all by
installing a mechanical brake switch at the pedal, thanks to Tom Hall's
advice and photos he sent me a few months ago. I had posted to the list
a couple of months ago about installing new "stock" brake light switches
that only worked a short time. On a lister's recommendation, I switched
back to Girling fluid from the Valvolene Syntech I was using, and it
seemed to help for a while, but then my current switch got to the point
I had to "nail" the pedal to get the lights to go on. The mechanical
switch is positioned slightly in front of the brake pedal arm so that
the switch pin is depressed when my foot is off the pedal. As soon as I
touch the brake pedal even slightly, the button snaps out, completing
the circuit, and the brake lights go on immediately. Much better.

And for the final (for now) question: How much fuel pressure should
there be just before the carb? I wonder if the Tiger isn't running out
of gas under full acceleration at the top of second gear. It kind of
"hits the wall" suddenly, almost like a rev limiter, at around 6,000 RPM
in 2nd. As soon as I back off the pedal a bit, power comes back on. My
fuel pump, a small Purolator "cube" type I put in when the SU failed,
puts out 5 lbs. of pressure right before the carb., which is a Holly 570
Street Avenger (vacuum secondaries) on top of a 289. Is that 5 lbs.
enough, or could the pump not be flowing enough fuel?

Thanks!
Steve Sage