Re: ammeter

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@cox-internet.com>
Subject: Re: ammeter
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 22:55:41 -0600
To see if it is actually wired up, remove one of the two connections (make sure
you insulate it carefully) and then see if the headlights (or anything
electrical on the car) still work.

Testing the ammeter is hard because of the extremely low resistance it presents
to an ohmmeter. Headlights should draw about 10 amps between the pair - if you
put the ammeter in series between the headlights and the battery, it should read
about that much, and switching the connections on the rear will make the needle
deflect the other way. Testing this is most easily done on a bench setup.

Since not everyone agrees on what ammeters should measure, you're going to get
conflicting reports on how it ought to be wired up. The 'correct' way is to get
it to measure the current flowing between the battery and the rest of the
electrical system (with the exception of the starter). This means it has to be
connected in series between the starter solenoid and the rest of the electrical
system, which on a stock Tiger is done at the voltage regulator box (I think).
You need 10 gauge wire minimum to handle the battery charging current.

Let me know if this raises more questions than it answers...

Theo (just dealing with the aftermath of yet ANOTHER spring snowfall - two feet
last week!)

"James E. Pickard" wrote:
<snip>