Reverse Lights revisited (long)

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Reverse Lights revisited (long)
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:34:09 -0700 (PDT)
I have been following the thread (Sourcing some intact and working
reverse lights for a Series IV Alpine) and would like to add my .02
worth.
There appears to be three Sunbeam Alpine and or Tiger reverse lamps.
1) The early hard to find style.
2) A small round "WIPAC" flat backed dome model.
3) The rectangular "WIPAC" used on late Series V Alpines and MKII
Tigers.

I will address number 2 above.

This small round "WIPAC" lamp appears to be a Dealer option and was
probably dealer installed or used in England and Canada on Series IV
Alpines and MKI Tigers. I haven't seen these on any cars in the U.S. Has
anyone? I offer the following as proof these were available.

I have original Rootes/Chrysler "boxed" reverse lamps part number
7105102 which are shown in the Sunbeam Alpine Rootes/Chrysler Factory
parts book # 6600992 (Revised June 1968) in section "ZU" Special
Accessories page "ZU11". Photo link for those who don't have a parts
book.
.
Alpine parts book (left page)
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-3-4.jpg
.
Alpine parts book (right page)
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-3-5.jpg
.
Note: It also shows 7105102 fitting the Tiger MKI. This part number is
also shown in the Factory Tiger 260 and 289 parts book (Jan 1967) in the
Special accessories section page "ZUF1"
.
Tiger only parts book
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-4-1.jpg
.
This lamp 7105102 is a "WIPAC" light and is about 2 3/4" in diameter and
about 1 1/2" tall with a plastic lens and flat rubber backed mounting
pad.
.
BACK-UP LIGHT & BOX
7105102 back-up light w/box
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-4-5.jpg
.
7105102 label close-up (dated 8/77)
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-5-1.jpg
.
7105102 side view close-up
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-5-2.jpg
.
I also have a reverse light "KIT" part number 7105100 which contains two
lights, a switch, wiring, mounting parts etc., and thick rubber base
mounts for a "body contour" angle attachment. I can't find this 7105100
part number in my Alpine or Tiger parts book, it might be a Hillman or
other Rootes car kit.
.
7105100 back-up kit
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-5-3.jpg
.
7105100 back-up kit label
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-5-4.jpg
.
7105100 back-up kit side view
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-5-5.jpg
.
I have two additional Rootes Accessories folders which show reverse
lamps. The first is a small 6"x8" folder printed for England (Ref. No.
64029)
This folder shows reverse lamps mounted above the bumper to the sides of
the trunk lid. There are no parts numbers given, only a price in Pounds,
the Tiger lights are cheaper than the Alpine. The drawing of the Alpines
show square corner doors and the larger rear view mirror, this folder is
probably 1965 or 1966.
.
Front, small folder
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-2-5.jpg
.
Rear, small folder
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-3-1.jpg
.
Inside, back up light
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-3-2.jpg
.
Inside close-up back up light/mud flap
Note "Sunbeam" mud flap.
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-3-3.jpg
.
The second folder is 8 1/2"x11" and made for Canada. It has a Chrysler
"Pentastar" on the cover so it probably is 1966. This folder has Tiger
LAT options and Alpine options. There is a drawing of a Series IV
"badged" Alpine with the early style reverse lamps. The back of this
folder shows one of the 7105102 "WIPAC" reverse lamps.
.
Large folder, front
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-1-5.jpg
.
Large folder, rear
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-2-1.jpg
.
Close-up of reverse light - rear of folder
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-2-2.jpg
.
Early reverse light on Series IV Alpine
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-2-3.jpg
.
Early reverse up light close-up
http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/3-2-4.jpg

It is my opinion these 7105102 reverse lamps were available as a Dealer
or over-the-counter part, and may also have been a "Factory Option" on
Series IV and early Series V Alpines and MKI Tigers in England and
Canada.
This 7105102 lamp might be correct for William's Series IV Alpine and
might still be available in England, from Chrysler or Wipac.
Opinions on this reverse light and its mounting location are welcome.
David Franchi