The sweet sound of success!

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: The sweet sound of success!
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 20:43:40 -0700
Is quiet!

This weekend the project was shifter refurbishing.

I still have the stock shifter in a mk1A
It would rattle and buzz at freeway speeds. It was loud enough to here over
the wind and engine noise at 75 mph.

I made sure that each end of all shift rods had a curved washer, flat washer
and retaining clip.  I was missing the curved washer on 1/2 the locations.

Secondly, I replaced the wave washer on the main shaft of the shifter.
Before I did this, you could reach up from below and rattle the 3 shift
levers back and forth.  After the washer was installed, you could not wiggle
the levers at all.
The shift effort went up just a bit, but everything feels tighter and most
of all quieter.

The curved washers are 0.012 inches thick, ID .38  OD 0.75 inches.

I bought the wave washers from McMaster Carr.  I had to buy a box of 10 for
$13 but it was well worth it.  The curve washers were scavenged off another
shifter I had in the archive, but they should be available from McMaster as
well.

It is such a pleasure to drive without feeling the need to keep my hand on
the shifter to muffle the buzz.

Erich