Lower A-arm bushings (stranger than fiction - HELP!)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lower A-arm bushings (stranger than fiction - HELP!)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:35:09 -0700
Today I started to install my lower A-arm bushings (SS black). Again,:

1. I chamfered the (leading) metal edge as recommended by Tom Hall.
2. I Slightly (and I do mean slightly) honed out the bushing housing to make
insertion smooth (the bushing shell is not loose).
3. I put the bushings in the freezer to shrink them.
4. I greased the housing and bushing.
5. I used a fixture for pressing in the bushing that just slipped over the
rubber part, yet only pushed on the outer metal edge.
6. I made sure the bushing was going in straight.
7. I had a clearance piece for the last part of the pressing for the end of
the bushing to pass through to prevent compressing it.
8. I made sure the bushing seated completely against the housing.
9. I never saw any buckling, distortion or metal shavings when pressing the
bushing in.
10. I compared a pressed and unpress bushing they look similar.

  Therefore, can someone PLEASE tell my why pressing the bushing into a
slightly smaller hole caused the center metal piece to fit loosely instead of
even more snuggly than it did before it was pressed??? The only place where
the inner metal piece fits snuggly is the small inner section (near the bevel
washer) that overhangs the bushing shell.

  This makes absolutely no sense to me and I can't imagine what else I could
have done to install these bushings more properly!!! I used the same method on
the upper A-arm bushings and the fit was snug throughout both before and after
pressing.

 What can I do about it now? Will tightening the fulcrim pin nuts compress the
rubber back to the normal size?

Thanks for any help, this doing things right and having them come out wrong is
really getting old and discouraging. For that matter when I do things that I
am sometimes cautioned against more often than not, those thing work out
right! Go figure?

Tom Wit B9470101