Re: Tiger without brake booster

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, <CE25593@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Tiger without brake booster
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:34:14 -0700
Bob,
   Perhaps I'm not the best source, but I am soon going to be installing a
Datsun/Nissan dual master cylinder. This is one of the few M/C's that have
the vertically oriented mounting holes and with slight filing they will fit
the Tiger. I have seen other cars with it. The advantage is that if you get
the right one they are 3/4" instead of 11/16" like the Tiger. This will
somewhat reduce pedal pressure, but at the expense of longer pedal travel
(there is no free lunch and you don't get something for nothing).
   In my case I Pick A Part-ed a near new replacement off a Datsun 710 for
$10. One issue that I have yet to resolve (if I even need to) is that this
M/C came off a vacuum booster. Thus, there is no provision to retain the
pedal rod in the M/C. As long as all the bolts are kept tight (nylock's?) I
don't think there is any need to worry about the rod ever falling out.
Regarding the rod itself you may have to adapt the Tiger or a Datsun rod.
Basically grinding the end round to fit and polishing it likely will work.
Another option would be to use the M/C from an early (68-73) Datsun 510 or
pick-up truck. These were non booster  type and have a provision to keep the
rod captured. Be careful as a lot of the Datsun M/C's are 11/16" so if pedal
pressure is important look for the 3/4" version.
  A second alternative might be the early Mazda RX-7's. My search showed a
similar bolt pattern. The Mazda M/C's are steel as opposed to the aluminium
of the Datsun. Additionally I recall the Mazda had line connections on the
side (forgot which) as opposed to the bottom line connectors on the Datsun.
  Now as to where to get the proper connectors to connect this metric item
into the Tiger lines............??? Well, when you find out --- PLEASE ---
let me know. I was pointed to Dave Brean (spelling?) but atleast at the web
site didn't find anything. Perhaps you need to call.
Anyway, hope this is of some help to you.
Tom Witt B9470101 (and 73 Datsun 510)