Temperature senders

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Temperature senders
From: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:31:05 -0400
Hello:
I have a weird one, that I'm hoping somebody with their superior knowledge of
Sunbeams can solve for me.  In checking out my temperature gauge recently,
I found that it was reading high so, after checking a few things, I decided
that
it would be a good idea to replace the sender.  Now, years ago, I had replaced
the thermostat housing with one that has a threaded opening for a temperature
sender and that's where the sender is located.  On receiving the new sender,
I discovered that its thread is different from the old sender by just
enough to
allow the sender to leak.  The old sender is 3/8 npt and the new one is
slightly
smaller (it wiggles in the hole when installed).  The new one threads in as
you
would expect it to and even snugs up with a wrench but, as I said, it leaks.
My question is, does anyone know what the thread on the stock temp sender
is?  The id no. on the sender is GTR110, the equivalent of the Smiths TT.4802,
and will fit in the "T-piece" that was originally installed in the heater
line.
Apparently, the sender that I had installed previously in the thermostat
housing is
a Smiths TT.6812 which is the sender for a Tiger II and which may account for
the inaccuracy in the readings of my temperature gauge.  Finally, if anyone
does know what the thread on the GTR110/TT.4802 is, is there some way of
adapting that thread to the 3/8 npt so I can install it in the location of
the other
one?  Thanks in advance for all the help.
Tod
B382002384LRXFE