Re: Off Topic A/C Question

To: rpalmer@ucsd.edu
Subject: Re: Off Topic A/C Question
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:26:16 -0700
Bob Palmer wrote:

>Steve,
>
>Freeze 12 is a mixture of 80% HFC-134A and 20% HCFC-142B that behaves, more
>or less, like HCFC-12 (R-12). I believe you will have to remove all of the
>CFC-12 if you use Freeze 12 or other similar blends................

Bob:
Thanks for the information. I've been doing a lot of reading on a couple
of the A/C discussion boards. A good number of do it yourselfers there
have used Freeze 12 for several years and are very happy with it. A
couple of them even said they just added a pound or so Freeze 12 to a
low R12 system in an old car, didn't do, or change out anything else,
and it's worked well for several years. That's possibly too good to be
really true. I haven't found any disaster stories about it yet, though.
I am going to get some kind of definitive information before I do
anything other than re-charge it with R12. I'm trying to find out how to
contact the actual manufacturer to get the info direct from the source.

I did find a shop today that says they'll sell R12 for $55 a pound, +
$45 for the test/service, etc. so, if it only needs a pound or so,
that's not a bad deal these days and I'll probably just go that route
for now. My real motivation for looking into the Freeze 12 is that
eventually R12 will be even a lot more expensive, plus, you can't buy it
retail, and I want to be able to work on my own A/C myself. Everything
I've read about 134a implies it won't work well in my system since it
requires a bigger condensor, and as we know, there's just so much room
to play with on a Tiger.

Steve Sage