RE: Side Vents - "LAT?"

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Side Vents - "LAT?"
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:27:18 -0700
Bob,

According to Norm Miller, Steve is right that the "LAT-41" side vents were
never actually offered to the public. Norm Miller's TBON shows a picture of
Cobra vents and writes: "NOTE: Two different vent configurations are
pictured in the "holomogation [sic] papers": One for 1965 and the other for
1966. The first appears to be a photo of the Cobra side vent with slanted
veins [sic] and was never used on the Tiger, while the second is veinless
[sic] and from the actual '55' race car." I have faith that Norm is in
possession of the aforementioned documents and is reporting them accurately.
However, it is probably generally best to apply a sliding scale to LAT
options in terms of authenticity or availability to the public, so any
definition as to what is and what is not a "LAT option" will remain somewhat
elusive.

If you are interested, I can send you pictures of the Cobra style vents on
my Tiger, which are placed rather low, but are installed pretty much as you
suggest. It is my belief that they do help at "interstate speed", but I
can't back that up with hard data. On the other hand, it does create a
problem with heat into the cockpit unless measures are taken to block the
leaks.

BTW, for those who care, it's "Homologation". ;-)

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
robertpalmer@paulhastings.com
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net