Re: LAT(?) vent pictures on line - TigersUnited.com

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: LAT(?) vent pictures on line - TigersUnited.com
From: Larry Paulick <larry.p@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:51:36 -0700
Steve, nice picture and info on the United site.  As you may be aware, I
put in fender vents when I restored my Tiger.  I looked around, as I
also thought it was a kit I could purchase.

I went to Curt at Classic Sunbeam, as he had them in his catalog, and he
informed me they were a special item, one off type, and not a LAT
option, and he did not have any.  Rick had none either.

So after looking at the car for some time, I sketched up what I wanted
and the bodyman did an excellent job of the concept.

It is in metal, welded, and in 2 pieces to form a triangular shape where
the booster/regulator area is in the engine bay, and then to a trapezoid
on the fender.  If you look carefully you can see them in the pictures
of my car on the articles in United.

The vent misses other body panel parts, and has no areas to trap water
or dirt, so no future rust.

At idle, there is hot air coming out, at speed, the differential
pressure between the engine bay and the outside will extract hot air.  I
have made other modifications, larger new brass radiator, air dam, full
fan shroud, larger after market fan, better flow water pump, quality
thermostat, etc., so I don't know what one thing keeps my Tiger cool.

After some more work on other parts of the car, I plan to do some
testing with it blocked off, with the same protocol that Tiger Tom did
in his excellent article on cooling.

I talked to Tom regarding this issue, and he had his raw data available
when we talked, and his testing did not confirm or deny the design I
had, hence the need to test for his data base.

In talking to Tom's co-tester, sorry I forgot his name and am
embarrassed, but this gentleman provided additional info re cooling.
One of the biggest improvement was the full fan shroud, of which there
is an article under my name in United.

Does it help?  I think it does, but again need to test to verify.

But, one thing for sure, for me, I like the looks.

Larry