TigersUnited Forum - Who's it for?

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: TigersUnited Forum - Who's it for?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:24:04 -0700
Tigers and Erich,

The water pump information of Erich's is very valuable to Tiger
enthusiasts, and we thank Erich for posting it. He even goes into the
sources and details of the modifications he found necessary. I,
personally, believed it to have such a lasting value that I posted it in
our TigersUnited.com Forum, under "Cooling"

Those of us who have a current need for this information are well served
by the List e-mail alone.  Those who have yet to have a pump crisis
will, hopefully, make a copy and file it away for future reference.  The
probability, with the demise of ListQuest search site, of finding it
amongst all your saved mail, when you need it, is nearly zero.

That is why the Tiger Forum section of TigersUnited.com was created
(access by hot link in TU.com top black bar).  Yes, I know most Forums
are active communications media for ongoing discussions, but even then,
finding older material is difficult to impossible. If any wants to use
it for "normal" Forum type activity, it is fully activated for such use,
and organized to allow it. New categories can always be added, as needed.

Besides, we are car enthusiasts, not computer enthusiasts.  The Tiger
List has been the sole method of communication amongst us way before
"Forums" were even created, thanks to pioneers like Mark Olson
<http://www.classictiger.com/>. It remains our primary means of
communication.

TigersUnited.com tried, once, to collect all historical important List
posted Tech Tips and publish an organized collection. Many volunteers
spent untold hours making editorial assemblies of various subjects. The
job was just too large.  The information still exists, and is all filed
under "Mailing List Threads", under "Technical Tips".  It died from
being just too great a load for the volunteer individual editors to
accept, especially when they are more interested in their cars anyway.

To still retain the concept of an organized retention of important
Technical Notes that are posted, like Erich's, the "Forum" was organized
like a Workshop Manual, and the "Performance" and "Restoration"
sections,  to allow the authors of the tip (or the recipients who
benefited) to post this for the rest of us to find when we need it.

At most, it requires a "Copy/Paste" of the final E-mail into the proper
category by the author or recipient.  I have taken the liberty of doing
this for Erich's note.  Now everybody can find it in the Forum under
"Cooling" when they need it.  But I cannot do it for everybody, all the
time. This is a participant's responsibility to assure his resource
remains available, as HE desires.

Unfortunately, this is an under utilized resource.  Not many take the
effort to Cut/Paste the final message and answer into the proper
category.  This leaves the entire job in my hands, and that certainly
was not intended, or acceptable.  This resource, with over 100
registered members from around the World is intended for their own (and
your) use in posting and using the information.

I am seeking your comment and assistance.

1)  If you find you do not need an organized record of the great tips
that come through our Tiger List, or it is too difficult to use or post
your best stuff, then perhaps it should be eliminated.

2)  Perhaps you did not see the "Forum" in the top black bar of the
TU.com site, and did not know what is available, (or what has been lost
for lack of individual postings.)

Please browse through what is there, and respond with your comment,
such  as:

A.) Keep it. It is a valuable resource, and it will be my personal
responsibility to post my own recommendations, given, or received.

B) I've never looked at it before, but now that I have I find no value
in it to me. Dump it.

C) Keep it, but let someone else do all the work entering all the List
Posted Questions and Answers for me. I am too busy.

Your views are solicited.

Steve

EXAMPLE MESSAGE:

Kathy and Erich Coiner wrote:

Steve,

Below, you describe the exact pump I purchased from Summit racing.
I did not spring for the polished model, I painted mine dark Ford blue to
match the rest of my engine.

The back side of the Edelbrock hub is tapered to a diameter larger than 1
inch.
The fan and pulley won't sit on it properly unless some lathe work is
attempted.
I started to pull the hub off and make the mods, but it was on really tight
and my steering wheel puller was not happy trying to move it.  I did some
calculations and decided there was enough room to press the hub on far
enough to put the pulleys in line.  Then I made and pressed on a 1 inch
diameter cylinder.  This made for a nice close fit with the pulley and fan.
My parts slip on easily and have almost no radial run out.  Works real
good, should last long time :)

--

Steve Laifman
Editor