ride height cure

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: ride height cure
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:00:38 -0700
Tom,

Been thinking about your latest issue, ride height, and think I have a
procedure to "cure" it.  I believe I have a "Modest Proposal", per Tom
Swift (maybe a first name relative?)

1) Park car on flat, level driveway, with verification by bubble, laser,
or theodolite instrument.

2) Measure the distance from the center of the wheel to the ground.  If
these are not all the same, I think we have found your problem. Buy a
full set of wheels and tires that are the same.  THEN:

3) Place bucket(s) of sand on the floorboards closest to the highest
fender top above the wheel center, regardless of which corner it is in.
Verify the order of highest to lowest fender top has not change,  If it
has, you have other problems,

4) Repeat step 3 on the current highest fender top. Use additional
buckets if need to hold more sand.

5) Continue until every the originally lowest fender top, without weight
addition, is even with the other 3.

6) If the height of the final level car is NOT that height you adjusted
the first highest wheel to, then other things have shifted, and the
drill must continue until step 5 level is reached.  If the order of
height unequalness has changed, you have other things moving that need
care before this procedure will work.

7) If the car is now level, then you are almost finished.

8) Make a chalk mark on the carpet where each bucket sits.  Sequentially
remove and weigh bucket, or bolt it ot the floor with a sturdily
attached lid.  An alternate is a machined lead disk of measured
bucket/sand weight bolted to center of chalk circle.

9) Continue for all buckets.

10) Congratulations! You know are the ONLY owner of a Sunbeam Tiger who
has an even ride height and is pleased with what  that height is.
Worthy of a pictorial article.

:-)

Steve

Steve Laifman