Tiger Cooling System

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiger Cooling System
From: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:46:27 -0400
            At the TE/AE United I was asked a question about the dry
chemical flush I use to clean my cooling system.

I used Prestone Heavy Duty Radiator Flush which was a 2 part dry chemical
that you put in the system and added water to.

I believe this product is no longer available.

I believe one of the active ingredients in that product was Oxalic Acid
which will only remove the rust.   There were probably other chemicals in
that product but I do not have a can of the product nor do I remember any of
the chemicals listed on the package.   Part 2 of the product was the
neutralizer and I have no idea what the might have been, but acid can always
be neutralized with plenty of water.   Always use caution when dealing with
any acid.

            If you have a cooling problem, start with a clean system then
proceed.   Chuck King presented at the United the material he and TigerTom
worked on for the cooling system.  Most of this information in on the TE/AE
web site under Tech Tips.   I want to Thank Chuck, Tom and everyone involved
for the tremendous amount of time and effort it took to compile and verify
those results.

Here is a short overview of the results I think are the major contributors
to help a cooling problem;

Minimum fan diameter = 15

Complete the fan shroud around the bottom of the fan

Electric fans must be ducted 1 inch away from the radiator for maximum air
flow.   Any closer and I think the fan blades create cavitation instead of a
smooth air flow through the radiator.

Put an air dam in front of the radiator to keep hot air from moving around
and back into the radiator at idle.

Again these are only some of the tested results and obviously someone could
spend years refining and adding to these results.

            I also want to thank again the United XXIV committee for putting
together a wonderful event.

Ron Fraser

---