RE: Vroom! (Octane Question)

To: "Sage" <ssage@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Vroom! (Octane Question)
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:05:12 -0800
Steve, Listers,

I agree with Michael's comments, and others along those lines. The 'dog' in
this topic is compression ratio, and the 'tail' is octane. Higher
compression gives more power (or torque if you insist). For a give
compression, you need high enough octane to prevent knocking, and higher
doesn't help.

I would warn that advancing timing by trial and error is a dangerous game.
What may seem fine at partial throttle and mid rpm's could turn really ugly
at full throttle and 5,500 rpm. I think we all know that you want something
like 16 degrees initial and 36 degrees total, fully in by 2500-3000 rpm as
about the most aggressive setting you should have. With lower compression,
maybe a degree or three more is OK, but I would want to test it somewhere
alone, not while trying to blow off a Porsche or BMW. Beg, borrow, or steal
a timing light and check not only your initial timing, but full advance and
at what rpm it comes in.

Bob Palmer
rpalmer@ucsd.edu
rpalmerbob@adelphia.net