RE: Dana 44

To: "'Scott Hutchinson'" <shutchin@netjets.com>
Subject: RE: Dana 44
From: "Brian and Maribeth Moss" <BLMoss@Prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:38:13 -0500
Scott,

Gleason no longer makes the original Torsen.  Come to think of it, I
don't think Gleason makes anything any more.

I have the Detroit Truetrak, made by Tractech.  It's a Torsen type diff
intended for use in the Jeep version of the Dana 44.  There are some
minor differences between that housing and the Tiger's, so a couple of
minor modifications are necessary.

It requires the 30 spline axle shafts available through Rick at Sunbeam
Specialties (stock is 19 spline).  Extra expense, but they'll stand up
to more abuse than the stockers.  Also requires that the ends of the
axles be welded up and machined to account for the difference in the
housings.  The ends of the shafts wind up too far apart.

As far as I know, this is about the only option short of talking Quaife
into doing a custom diff for you -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Brian