Gaskets Finally Removed

Subject: Gaskets Finally Removed
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:46:44 -0800
Thanks for the ideas on removing the baked on gaskets on my A/C
compressor part. On the advice of an A/C mechanic, and a couple of list
members, I used a spray gasket remover (Permatex). It definitely made it
easier, but still took six applications on each gasket, and lots of
careful scraping, before the bulk of the old gaskets came off.. That was
a lot of work. The A/C guy said they use an industrial strength remover
that works better, but that it's not sold over the counter. The new
gasket kit I installed when I put things back together are metallic, as
opposed to the fiber gaskets that were installed by the manufacturer,and
have ridges along the edges that compress as you bolt things back
together. They are supposed to come off easily, in one piece, if I ever
have to take things apart again.

Steve Sage