Re: 289 Hi-Po Crankshaft Identification

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: 289 Hi-Po Crankshaft Identification
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:36:09 -0700
It's been about ten years for me, but from personal experience I can
tell you that cracked cranks do indeed sound dull when struck, and a
friend of mine had his (Datsun four-cylinder) crank heat-treated and
nitrided, and after that it certainly sounded like no other Datsun
crank. I would think that if the difference between HiPo cranks and
standard cranks were to be clearly audible, it would more likely point
to a difference in the HiPo crank alloy, as opposed to just being
selected from a slightly varying run of standard cranks.

Best regards all,
Theo