RE: Toasty Wire

To: "'Sage'" <ssage@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Toasty Wire
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:15:08 -0600
Wires getting hot (i.e. significantly hotter than ambient temperature) is
NEVER "normal operation". A 10 gauge wire can pass 30 or 40 amps all day
without breaking a sweat, and as far as I know your AC blowers shouldn't be
drawing anywhere near that much current. If your motors are slow to start
then you could install slow-blow fuses, but I don't think you should be
seeing a sustained current of over 20 amps through any fan motor.
If you have a bunch of fuses in line, then the one with the lowest rating
will blow first, especially if it's also servicing a number of other
circuits.
If you have wires getting hot then one thing you should check is the
connectors (crimp-on or otherwise). If they're making poor contact with
whatever they're plugged into or if the crimp job is not good, then the
resistance at those locations will cause localized heating, and then the
copper in the wires transfers the heat throughout the whole wire.

Best regards,
Theo