Hot Wire Source Found?

Subject: Hot Wire Source Found?
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:06:54 -0700
Doing some web research tonight I found what may be the answer to my hot
alternator output wire problem. I have a Smith's/Jaeger ammeter in the
Tiger's dash, and it appears from the following, very interesting
article that it is not up to the job of handling all the voltage that
runs in the car with my AC fans. The site relates to Dodge cars, but it
sounds like Rootes ammeters and Dodges may have exactly the same
problem. Here's the link:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I used my multi-meter's temperature probe on a funky wiring connection
on my alternator output wire. Unwrapping some electrical tape from the
wire, I found that someone (not me in this case) had spliced four wires
into it: two for the electric auxillary radiator fan, and two for, and
to, the ammeter. The four wires are connected to a bolt, with a nut to
tighten them together, and a wire from the bolt wraps around the
alternator wire, then the whole contraption is wrapped with tape. My
temp probe measured about 150 degrees at the bolt with the engine heated
up, about what I'd expect from engine heat, etc. As soon as I switch on
my AC evaporator and condensor fans, the temperature at that bolt starts
climbing fast. As it headed past 190 degrees and maybe toward disaster,
I shut off the AC fans and wire temp comes back down to 150. This
repeats with each try.

 From the article I read above, it seems like the current charging out
of the alternator may be meeting serious resistance through the ammeter
circuit, causing the wire to over heat.

I had thought that the ammeter itself had a defective face on it, as the
ammeter surface (that you look at) has some bubbles and distortion in
it, and has had for some months. I was going to blame the shop that
converted it to match my other Jaeger guages. Now it seems like the
surface may be distored by the ammeter getting way too hot from all the
extra voltage flowing through it when my AC is running. I'm going to
bypass the ammeter altogether and see if the problem goes away, and if
so, replace it with a volt meter.

Does this make sense to you guys out there?

Steve Sage