fuel problems

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: fuel problems
From: "Jim Boynton" <jimboynton@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 21:59:14 -0400
Listers,

I just about finished the F4B and Holley install and than left for a
week's vacation. My mechanic did the final tuning after I left and drove
the Tiger to my house 3 miles away. When I returned yesterday he had a
note stating that we may need to tweak the carb and also keep an eye on
the temp with new this new setup and a new thermostat (PO had removed
it).

Early this afternoon I back the car out into the sun and let it idle
driving the gauge up to around 200 and than off for a quick trip around
the neighborhood (luckily not out on the main road) to drop the temp. A
quick right out of my driveway and a left on to a nearby road with no
kids in the road I shifted into second and it became apparent this new
setup is a distinct boost from stock. Anyway at the end of the street I
swing left around the corner and the engine shut down completely without
hardly a hesitation.

After a couple of failed attempts to restart I got out and lifted the
hood to take a look. The fuel in the fuel filter is almost none existent
(barely covering the bottom). With the battery close to dead (that seem
strange I didn't try that many re-starts) I walk a quarter mile back to
house and get my son and a friend and we push the car back. Let me tell
you it may be a little car but when pushing in the sun up a small
upgrade the car turns heavy very fast.

Back home the battery goes on the charger and 2 hours later I turn the
key on and get the reassuring clicking of the fuel pump and Tiger
immediately starts. I inspect the fuel filter and fuel is right at the
top.

So what do I have here? A balky fuel pump, a carb that need further
tuning, a bad battery although I don't think the pump needs much
current, a heating problem, etc.

I did give the fuel pump a couple of raps and wiggled the wires out on
the road which didn't seem to make any difference. With the key on I
could feel the pump vibrating with my hand but not so sure that I was
hearing the familiar clicking sound.

Jim