re: wet carpet padding

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: re: wet carpet padding
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 16:30:53 -0700 (PDT)
All,
I showed my Tiger in Houston's Keel's & Wheels concours d'Elegance last
weekend and was caught in a major rainstorm on Saturday. I saw no signs
of leakage and figured since it's a complete brand-new restoration,
it'd be OK. It wasn't... water got in from somewhere that I can't
figure out, and slightly wet the beautiful Wilton Wool carpets but
soaked the padding (some very dense, thick, cloth fiber material with
foil backing) underneath. I have pulled all the horizontal carpet
pieces and hung to dry, but everything else is glued in place and the
padding will simply tear apart if I try to remove it. Any ideas on what
to do?

I don't want the brand new Tiger to smell like my old mildewy Alpine
parts car already!

Stephen Waybright