RE: Windage tray

To: <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>,
Subject: RE: Windage tray
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:31:29 -0600
Good points, Bob...
But, since the gasoline internal combustion engine is at most 30-35% energy
efficient, with all the remainder being dissipated as heat, when we talk
about a 150 HP engine, we're also talking about an additional 300 HP worth
of heat being created, all of which gets removed by the radiator and through
direct radiation. When you look at it like that, it doesn't seem too
unreasonable that the crank swishing the oil around could dump another 15-20
HP worth of heat into the oil, and that it would be hard to detect in terms
of oil temperature, since the oil and water are already removing 20 times
that much heat.

I apologize for mixing power and energy like that...
Theo