To our Guide and Pioneer, Steve Sage

To: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>, "Tiger's Den"
Subject: To our Guide and Pioneer, Steve Sage
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:50:34 -0700
Steve Sage requested a resistance measurement of the Pertronix
FlameThrower II high performance oil coil.

As luck would have it, my son Jay was trying to find the L.F. disc
piston leak, and I found my VOM looking for a tool he needed.

Measuring the resistance of the meter with the lead wires tightly
pressed gave a 4 ohm reading on the lowest digital scale (200 ohms
max.).  This can be considered to be the self calibrated "0" ohms of the
meter.  Reading the resistance of a brand new Pertronix Flamethrower II
coil (never used),  I get 11 ohms.  This means  a resistance of 11 - 4 =
7 ohms (+/- 1 ohm for meter accuracy).

For comparison purposes I measured the installed Accell Hi Performance
"Points Type" coil, currently installed with a Pertronix I points
replacement.  The Pertronix I is specified for use ONLY with "Points
Type" coils, which come WITH a resistor (like the stock one) that runs
continuously in the "run" ignition switch position.   The Coil measured
11 ohms, significantly higher than the 7 ohms of the Pertronix II NON
points coil.  In addition, there is the Accell resistor that MUST be
used with this coil, regardless of what kind of points you have. It
measured 14 ohms by itself.  Therefore, the total resistance of a
"points type" performance coil is 25 measured ohms, vs the 7 measured
ohms of the Pertronix II. More than 3 times the resistance, even if the
meter is not bench calibrated against a standard.  This is because the
"difference" between the two systems is most probably close.

 From a current standpoint we are also talking a factor of about 3 times.

Yes, I know they claim a "0.6" ohm resistance.  And for all I know, this
may be generally accurate on a scientific laboratory bridge resistance
device, or accounting for "use cycle" of core saturation/desaturation.
The magnetic field energy build up does not occur in "zero" time.

Bottom line:  The differences are significant.  The output ignition
voltages will be substantially higher, and may indeed be the 45,000
volts advertised.  They with the Ignitor II points replacement, they
claim a performance of 225% higher than breaker points with a standard
coil, and 479% higher if the Flame Thrower II is used.

Certainly, my experience with the Pertronix I and the Accell Hi-Po
points coil and resistor show an extremely stable and reliable system,
never needing adjusting except for plug gap standard wear.  The stock
Tach worked fine.

Since I have yet to install the Version II Pertronix and Flamethrower
II, I can't speak about their "field" performance, or tell you how hot
the wires are.  That resistor that Ford, or Accell supplies gets pretty
hot in the stock set-up, so there must be some safety margin designed
in.  After my new stainless pucks are completed I may get around to it,
and will report back.  Meantime, you all have comparative Digital Ohm
Meter comparison results taken at the same time.

Besides, if I delay long enough, Steve Sage will get it all worked out
and I can go ahead, following the Pioneers!   You know what a "Pioneer"
is,  don't you?  He is the guy the settlers find with arrows in their
backs. :-)

We are quite fortunate that Steve Sage has a high adventure quotient,
and a high pain threshold.   :-D

We all Love You, Steve Sage.

Steve Laifman
(Record Keeper for the Settlers)