Re: High oil pressure

To: Régent Gagnon <regentgagnon@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: High oil pressure
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:42:07 -0700
Rigent,

I do not know the oil temperature related to your observations, but even
at 75 F my 260 registers 50 psi at idle.  Unless it is very hot, it
rarely drops below 35 psi.  This is with 30,000 miles on the engine.   I
do not know if your rebuild included bearing surface wear and roundness
for select fit of standard under sizes.   The days of machining bearing
inserts for proper fit are long gone, and only thin wall bearing
surfaces are sold.  The proper size being purchased, rather than
machined, after any necessary crank grinding to the next standard size
is done.

Of course a "plasti-gage" check is usually done to re-sized rod
bearing/main bearing clearances for final fit check.

Your mechanical 30 something year old gauge may be out of calibration,
or offset about 10 psi.    I would be much more concerned about the oil
leaks, not a 65 psi hot oil pressure.

Clogged lines, or obstructed oil passages, could - of course - be a
contributor to abnormal pressure.

Get a "T" fitting and an accurate calibration gauge to check the
pressure, and fix the leak.

Steve

--
-----