Flywheel, ring gear, starter mismatch

To: "Tiger Post" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flywheel, ring gear, starter mismatch
From: "Matthew Bouchelle" <66Tiger@ij.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 23:31:26 -0400
I have a dilemma regarding the flywheel I found in my Tiger.  The flywheel
is stamped C30E-6380B and is 160 teeth and around 13.25 O.D. as the "stock"
C40Z-6375-A is listed to be.  My bellhousing is C3AA-6394-C and my starter
is probably a remanufactured unit.  The starter body is stamped C7TF 110011
B and the gear housing on the starter is stamped C30F 11131 4.  My problem
is that the ring gear is a bit chewed up and the machinist I'm working with
on rebuilding my engine wants me to replace the ring gear but I am unable to
locate a 160 tooth ring gear.  Has anyone ever purchased one of these and
where was it purchased?  Will the 157 tooth ring gear work with the stock
starter and bellhousing?  I've read on the internet that it may with the
"smaller" bellhousing which I assume ours are.

If anyone has an original C40Z-6375-A flywheel and/or C20Z-11002-A starter
laying around they would like to part with, you can contact me off list.

Thanks,
Matt
B9472103