RE: Dash wiring, Amp meter, Alternator

To: "'Tom Witt'" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dash wiring, Amp meter, Alternator
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:39:44 -0600
Hi Tom,
When I installed my (Toyota) alternator I took a few pictures and put up a
webpage about it:
http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/alternator.html

>From the last paragraph:
For the wiring, I decided to use the existing harness as much as possible;
since I had to remove the regulator anyway, I used the large brown/yellow
wire that ran from the generator to the regulator, and connected it to the
large brown wires at the regulator side, and to the battery terminal lug on
the alternator. The small brown/yellow wire on the regulator connects to the
dash charge light; I connected this to the brown/green wire that ran to the
generator, then on the generator end I connected it to the "light" spade
terminal. I had to run a new wire from the ignition terminals at the fuse
block (white wires) to the "IG" terminal on the alternator.

Since the ammeter is only rated to 35 amps, and the alternator can push 65,
it is not a good idea to run the alternator output through the ammeter. Go
back to the stock wiring (which had the ammeter wired in series in the
battery lead) and get a 50 amp ammeter, or just leave it in the dash as an
ornament.

I'm looking at putting together a voltage monitor (idiot light)which will
tell you whether or not the charging system is working.

Best regards,
Theo