RE: Oil Filter Problem

To: "'Theo Smit'" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Problem
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:44:43 -0400
I made a wrench for mine out of some aluminum plate.  I traced the hex
shape onto the plate, drew in a handle, and cut it out.  It worked OK

However, the best solution is the Ford Motorsports right angle adapter,
that bolts to the block in the stock (Ford, not Tiger) filter location.
It does not work with headers that have tubes in front of the motor
mount.

With no modifications, there are no clearance problems with using a
FL400/PH3600 sized filter.  To use a FL1/ PH8A size filter, you have to
grind a bit of the motor mount away.

The filter changes are much easier, just like a standard V8 ford.  The
added bonus is that removing the original filter  mounts and hoses opens
up a space that makes pouring a bottle of oil into the filler much
easier.

As far as "period correctness" goes, here was my thinking.  This adapter
was created for Econoline vans in the early '60's, so if Rootes had done
a proper search of the Ford parts book and thought a bit, they should
have found this, just like they should have found the wide ratio version
of the transmissions for the MK1's.  So adding the adapter is a
CORRECTION, not a modification.....

Stu