RE: Fusible links

To: "'Steve Laifman'" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Fusible links
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:13:18 -0600
In point of fact, and as I mentioned previously, fusible links are usually
installed at high-energy power points as a secondary safety precaution, in
addition to the fuses that form the first line of defense against electrical
mishaps. Because of the energy required to melt a fusible link, they are
most definitely NOT bundled with the rest of the wire harness. You use
fusible links to prevent damage to the electrical system, not to
inadvertently take out some neighboring wires in the loom.

I hadn't ever really considered installing fusible links in the wiring
harness, but it's probably the single easiest protective step you can take
towards preventing electrical fires (aside from not using chintzy connectors
in high-current circuits). Just make sure they're sized correctly, and leave
some room around them just in case.

Best regards,
Theo