Steering Rack Issues

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack Issues
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:09:32 -0700
Listers,

Are any of you familiar with the spring loaded cups located underneath the
plates on the forward side of the rack housing? How much force should the
spring loaded cup be exerting on the rack? This question arises since the
alignment shop said that I had a small amount of play in the spherical joint
on the left side tie rod. I'm talking about the joint inside the bellows, not
the tie rod end. I pulled the bellows off and the spherical joints look and
feel fine. One thing I have noticed though is that with the front wheels off
the ground, if I force the tire/wheel combo from a left lock position to a
right lock position by physically moving the tire quickly, the rack moves away
from the pinion about an 1/8 of an inch. Obviously the rack is being forced
forward inside the cast housing and the springs under the plates are
compressing somewhat. How much compression is too much? Should I shim these up
to increase spring pressure. How much pressure is too much?

Any thoughts or comments?

Mike Sutter