Towing the Tiger

To: Tiger Submission <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Towing the Tiger
From: "Harry B. Elam" <harryb@elams.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:58:18 -0400
During a repair/repaint period in 1987 I had my front wheel arches
reinforced. This allowed me to insert square stock into the jack holes on
either side of the front. I cross drilled each jack hole and use 2 bolts
with shake proof nuts to secure the square stock to each reinforced jack
hole. My tow bar is a simple "Y" made out of 2" "U" channel connected to
each piece of square stock. I use a 1 7/8" hitch but any convenient size
will do. So, now I've towed my Tiger for long & short trips for all these
years with no known damage to the transmission or the car. If anyone is
interested in pictures contact me individually offline and I'll provide them.
BTW, powering the lighting is a simple matter as connections to brake, tail
and turn signal lights are on both front inner fender wells.
BTW-2 I also reinforced the connections for the rear bumper and made a
trailer hitch that bolts into the rear bumper bolt holes. I would not want
to tow anything too heavy but I have pulled a 1 ton trailer full of old
Sunbeam parts from Florida to Rhode Island and then to California (in
August) and returned to Virgina about 2 years later. Again pics are
available for those interested.

Harry Elam
  B382000471