Re: Dana 44 questions....

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dana 44 questions....
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:21:18 -0800
 Jim,
 Somehow I missed the original post, so I can only sumize from Theo's reply
what you were asking about (changing the gears in your Dana 44???). I am
doing a very low budget resto on my Tiger. An unfortunate matter to be delt
with was the fact that the rearend was very messed up. To be honest thought
I did replace the gears, carrier, bearings etc. (with used ones at that) I
have not had opportunity to hear them run yet.
  This link
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WittResto101/rt-WittResto101D.asp will
take you to Tigers United where I have my "Tiger 101" article posted. It
should start you on the page regarding my setting up the rearend. It does
take a number of specialty tools (or creative inovation) and fiddling to get
the gears where they "should" be. Getting everthing into place is less
difficult than getting everything back out undamaged (especially the
internal pinion bearing race and shims) if they are off the mark. It is one
of those jobs that you "hope" you get right the first tme, but rarely do.
 If you have limited tools and experience Theo is probably right that you
should have the job done for you. Me, I'm just too cheap and stubborn to
thing that I can't do it myself, however nearly three years later I'm still
waiting to see how it came out.
 By the way if you find the Tiger 101 article interesting, drop a subtle
hint (like I am now :)) to the editor Steve Laifman
( SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com ) that you would like to see more. If he is not too
busy and his health is prevailing he has Part II of Tiger 101 on his
computer awaiting posting. I think it was only the server move that was
holding the posting up. Why..., I remember the days when he was just begging
us for articles :).
Tom Witt B9470101