Re: Rocket Olds and Muscle Cars

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>, "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Rocket Olds and Muscle Cars
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:44:50 -0800
   No legend is without it's "history." Back in the early 1970's (when I was
a teenager racing slot cars) there was a V-8, Black & White Olds running in
the NHRA V/Stock class titled the "County Mounty". I think this car was
early 50's (but close enough to '49 to capture the flavor). Even back then
the 16 year old '55 Chevy was about the most senior of the Stock classes,
thus the "County Mounty" really stood out.
   At the time the NHRA Stock classes basically allowed, blueprinting, a
"cheater" cam (stock lift/duration but significant "ramp") rear ratio
changes and 7" slicks, EVERYTHING  else had to be stock. If V/Stock wasn't
the lowest class it was right down there. Regardless, the "Mounty" lumbered
to 15 second E.T's as best I recall. Due to the class index it was amusing
waching the Olds get a 4-5 second head start and then watching some A/Stock
427 Fairlane try and run it down. The good old days...., when Irwindale
Raceway used to host the Winternational Warm-up and spectator admission was
only $1 (for real). I remember one "Warm-up" trying to "hang out" all day
with Bob Glidden and he being a good sport about having a 14 year old
around.
Tom Witt