RE: Brakes Update #2

To: w_pierzga@msn.com ("MSN")
Subject: RE: Brakes Update #2
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:32:48 -0500
Not all Tigers have self adjusting rear brakes.  They
are manually adjusted the square shaped adjuster.  The
self adjusters were known to be problematic.  My very
late MK IA  B382002668 does not have self adjusters.
Neither does Ken Bishops MK II.

I still feel the master cylinder is not a problem.
You push on the brake pedal and the brake pedal rod supplies
the pressure to the system.  This pressure may be boosted
if you have a brake booster.  When you let up on the pedal
the master cylinder spring forces the pedal back and
relieves the pressure.  It does NOT create suction to
release the brakes.  That's the function of the brake
return springs.  Relieving the brake pressure in the
master cylinder allow for the return springs to overcome
the brake pressure of the wheel cylinder and move the
shoes back.  A stuck master cylinder is ahead of the
brake splitter and would stick both front and back brakes.
The problem is with the rear brakes.  The fairly well
eliminates the master cylinder, booster, and anything
else ahead of the splitter.

IMHO.

Dave