RE: Toploader rebuild

To: "'Curt'" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>, "'Tiger'" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Toploader rebuild
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:03:05 -0400
Curt;

I rebuilt my toploader with parts and assistance from David Kee. I don't
know about the others who may very well be equally helpful, competent
and sell excellent quality parts.

I am happy to endorse David, because I got into trouble along the way,
and he helped me immeasurably with advice over the 'phone.

A word of caution: the available instructions and exploded diagrams do
not provide enough detail for an inexperienced mechanic to fully
assemble the transmission shafts correctly.
Being a cautious sort, I always make copious notes and take digital
photographs when I disassemble anything new to me for the first time.
This got me into trouble, because my transmission was incorrectly
assembled by the previous owner, so I also re-assembled it incorrectly.
The diagrams and instructions were not complete enough to diagnose the
problem, but it was quickly sorted out by David Kee over the 'phone.

I am a big fan of his now!

Best of luck with your project.

Dave Munroe

To: Tiger
Subject: Toploader rebuild

Looking to rebuild my Toploader given I will have everything out of the
car.
Curious as to what others think of the various options on rebuild kits.
I have
purchased a kit from Dan Williams many years ago and see now there is a
David
kee and Toploader Heaven also selling rebuild kits. Any thoughts on best
route
to take for these parts or other options then a rebuild kit from one of
these
suppliers. If private answers are better that's fine.

By the way, I had forgotten how much fun it was to get the pistons out
of the
front calipers. Good thing I like wine.

Curt Hoffman