stuck dist.

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: stuck dist.
From: "Tony Someone" <tonythetiger@onecliq.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:38:42 -0600
Hey Guys- I spoke to Steve Coleman today. He recently had a problem removing a
dist. from a friends Tiger. It is my thought that the oil pump shaft is stuck
in the dist. drive. He says he only has about 1/4 inch movement before
something hits and stops the dist. from coming out of the block.
 I have a book that shows a cut away section of the engine and the washer that
holds the oil pump drive shaft is about 1 1/4 inces from the end of the shaft
and about a 1/4 inch from the bottom side of the dist. hole. It appears
approximately 1 inch of the shaft goes into the dist. and the washer hits
after you raise the shaft a quater of an inch. I think the shaft is stuck
inside the bottom of the dist.and Steve needs to use shims under the dist. and
pry up equally on each side and it will break loose. BUT since Im at home and
my Tiger is in my shop on the other side of town, I cant look to see how much
room he has between the dist. bottom and the block. IF anyone has another idea
or has experienced this problem, please let him know. At worse the washer will
slide down the shaft and allow it to come out of the oil pump or it will come
out of the dist.He would have to drop the pan if the shaft comes out and refit
the washer and perhaps a new shaft, since something has caused it to stick.
While speaking with Steve he said he welcomes input from other listers. SO, if
anyone cam help, please email your opinion. regards, Tony in Il.