Re: LAT Hoods & EFI

To: RMEbstein@aol.com
Subject: Re: LAT Hoods & EFI
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:21:08 -0800
Rodney,

Having both a LAT carbon fiber hood, and a F4B/Holly 1841 with stock LAT
chromed (otherwise same) air cleaner, I can give you a definitive answer
to both questions.

The Carbon Fiber LAT hood was fairly thick, and a bit misshapen, so it
bulges a bit on some fender edge matches.  Don't know if other
manufacturers do any better, or this is just one that was removed from
the mold before curing. enough. But the fiberglass material is thicker
than the steel, even with lowering the front hinge with special shims,
and cutting the rubber bumpers to allow the hood to sit lower.

As mentioned in previous post, although the LAT hood is higher in the
center, that is a narrow section.  It is narrower than the standard air
cleaner, and allows about 1/2 inch in the center of the carburetor.  The
real problem, if using stock air cleaner, is that the closest fit,
limiting the hood/air cleaner clearance, is at the sides of the air
cleaner, not the center.  At this point the LAT hood is of stock
clearance, or less if you try to absorb the extra hood thickness by
sufficient lowering.

Good look, and remember that the heater box section of the fire wall
must be cut away for the 8 pack Webers, ala Cobra, as they are much
higher, as well as extra-ordinary hood scoop.

Steve