Re: Shell Super Motor Oil

To: Bill Manning <gripdad@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Shell Super Motor Oil
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:03:31 -0800
Bill, Gary, and Tigers,

I believe the weight of oil recommended depends a good deal on the
running temperature of the oil, influencing it's viscosity and pressure,
and the wear of the lubricated pressurized parts.

A newer, good running engine would do fine on 10/30, and if it is
particularly hot running (due to engine or weather), maybe 10/40.

I would use 20/50 for the older mill or those running extreme service.
Watch the oil pressure.  It should usually be mid gauge.

Steve Laifman
Editor
TigersUnited.com