Re: hardtop trim quandry

To: joness@wsu.edu, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: hardtop trim quandry
From: PhastPhill@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:48:07 EST
The carI bought from Craig Hinricks in St Pete has a hard top, but I am
having some fit probs. The metal gutter rails are missing but you are right it
looks fine without them for now. Craig had all new rubber parts for the top so
we put them on. Like aftermarket repro stuff I have used on Healeys this stuff
 fit "kinda" The rear channel had to be cleaned and spread a bit, the gasket
trimed to fit the channel a bit, and lots of lube to slid it through, and
notches cut to clear the screws that hold the rear mounts with the pins that
fit
 in the trunk hinges. The front rubber was the worst and it will not go in
it's  channel properly no fing way. Still the top clamps on now at the front
and
 sides. Rear sits up to high, to much rubber material and to stiff, plus the
pins  are to high and to wide to fit in the hinges.To high I would understand,
but to  wide as well as if the hardtop had spread. Finely I just unscrewed
the pins from  the mount on the top and left it that way for now, and yes the
mounts are each  bolted to the right side of the top.Strange.This car also has
soft top that  wont fit....can't latch it in front even after a day sitting
in the hot florida  sun. I have seen this on other cars if the top was not
mounted right to start  with. Craig gave me a new ammco top but I do not like
them. Does Robbins make a  correct style top for the car, like to keep an
origanal
look? thanks  again......any info appriciated, I'm still learning to use this
 board....cheers