Re: FREE TIRES

To: GHPECHMANN@aol.com
Subject: Re: FREE TIRES
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:31:30 -0800
Gary,

PA has a regulation limiting a car's tire width?  Never heard of that
before.  What would be their rationale for such a thing.  I do know that
when I lived in IL they changed the law and started disallowing studs in
snow tires, as they tore up the road.  The ones that flew out and
through the body work when the stud was ejected was NOT the reason.
Road repair costs were. Luckily they stopped the sale (as I recall) so I
could still use the new ones one more season before the studs started
ejecting.

Why limit tire width if the wheels and car body clear?  Strange.

I have the 165/70R13's, which did require a little trimming on the
inside of the fender lip because it would scrape the tire side on
bouncing up.  Just a little bit of metal needed trimming to match the
intrusion of the inner wheel well for about 30 degrees.  No more edge to
slice your fingers, too.

I imagine the 205/6013's were a bit wide.  Perhaps the wheel width would
be too narrow, but that is a wheel width change, not a tire regulation
issue.

Steve Laifman