Re: Expansion tank

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Expansion tank
From: "Curt" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:06:36 -0500
There are plenty of rattle can self-etching primers out there. Having about
completed building an aluminum airplane I hae done a lot of priming. I
typically did the big parts e.g. wing skins, with a spray gun, and the
smaller parts or touch up with a rattle can. Any good automobile paint store
or aircraft supply place e.g. Aircraft Spruce, will have the primers.

In the aviation world at least, and from all the technical data I have read
in my project, you do not want to just do primer. They are not made for
leaving exposed. It may be more of an issue on airplanes and aluminum, but
they state you should cover the primer with a compatible top coat in fairly
short order, or you will have to redo it (or live with the corrosion issues
later). Primers in and of themselves do not offer corrosion resistance.
Having said that, many of us primed the insides of assemblies and
never painted over it. But I also acid etched it first and alodined it as
well (unless I was using just the rattle can self etching primer in which
case that was all I did).

Sold the plane- too much work : )  Back to tigers

Curt Hoffman