Re: whells and gear ratios etc

To: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: whells and gear ratios etc
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:31:18 -0800
At 04:52 PM 2/13/2005, you wrote:
>List- I want to THANK each member who sent
>information. I am a smarter blond now and have a
>method from which I will choose my rear end gear. I
>did not receive one reply that wasn't informative and
>appreciated. May you each find your fuel gage 1/2 full
>your next time driving the Tiger. regards, Tony in
>southern, IL
>PS- Iam in the market for a set of 331 or higher
>gears, if anyone has a set they wish to sell.

A general warning on used ring and pinion gears............... When a gear
set is first installed, it go's through a break in period and the ring and
pinion wear together at the exact conditions of the housing setup.  These
settings are very difficult to replicate in a second housing.  If properly
set to general specifications of engagement and backlash, the gears will
perform nicely but there is a very good chance that they will howl at some
speed range.  If your racing this is no big deal but on a long trip it gets
very annoying.  Install new gears and don't take the chance.

Tom Hall