Re: Torque and Horsepower

To: modtiger@comcast.net, gswaybright@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Torque and Horsepower
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:44:24 EST
I can't understand why anyone would want an effective 5th gear ratio which
would spin the motor over 2000-2500rpm at 70mph. 5th should be a  deep
overdrive, IMHO. You do all of your racing, obviously including  autocross,
"ex" 5th
gear. Even for road racing, given the Tiger's weight and the  nature of its OHV
V8 motor (unless you've built an absolute on/off  switch of a motor, which is
not going to cut it for road racing anyhow), you  don't need more than 4
gears, with 4th being right at a 1:1, direct drive.  If you're "out of the
powerband" at 70mph in 5th, DOWNSHIFT...it makes more  sense than the
compromises of
having a useless 1st gear and trying to  effect an awkward 4th-5th shift
while racing. Now, if 1st was out of  the H-pattern and needed to get a car
with a
very peaky motor  rolling and 5th was a direct top (like racing 5 speeds), I
might think  differently Save that T-5, 5th gear for its intended purpose.
Just my two cents-
Mike Wood