260 CID hp and tq ratings

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: 260 CID hp and tq ratings
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:26:59 -0800
The question about cam timing and characteristics jarred me back onto the
path of a great 260 motor project..in my computer, that is. I have plugged
in evrything I know of and get pretyy close to the advertised torque and hp
ratings at the given rpms. My values are several ft-lbs higher (maybe 5 or
6) and hp is maybe 6 or 7 higher.

Now, what is the actual 2bbl ford carb flow rating? Anybody know? Not the
holley 2 bbl or 4 bbl versions please, box stock. Next, did Ford rate their
engines with all the accessories on such as the generator? That may account
for the small hp and torque differences. Seems to me that ratings were done
differently back then. But I have, no, wait, I was almost wrong once before.

In the compouter, I have added a turbo and upped the valve sizes to about
the size for the hipo heads and picked a dualpurpose cam, ie street and
strip and the hp is around 475 at 6000 rpm and torque is near 425  ft-lbs
( or is that ft-lb) at 5750 rpm.  Trque is pretty good being about 300 at
2250 rpm. All this requires good stuff internally of course.

mayf, ou tin Pahrump, pooped from planting palm trees....