Re: Speedo Cable - BOLT"

To: Lewis Gooch <lewis@satx.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo Cable - BOLT"
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:14:33 -0700
Lewis,

That "bolt" is actually a plastic machine screw plugging a structural
thread on the inner rear wheel panel.  It is meant to keep that thread
from rusting out until you decide to put on the factory optional 3 point
seat belt system.  That plastic "bolt" is replaced by a real one holding
the "over the shoulder" portion of a 3 point system.

Caution.  If you have a problem removing this plastic screw plug, and
damage the slot (or hex), do NOT use a "bolt extractor" on it.  The
plastic will just deform, and a cheap extractor will break off in the
hole.  NOW you are in trouble.   This did not happen on the Tiger, but
on my Porsche, with similar plug for seat belts for rear jump seats.

These are still available, and Moss Motors, Goleta CA, carries one for
an MG that fits just fine.

Steve

--
___