Re: Voltage Stablizer

To: "Richard" <rcsphx@qwest.net>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Voltage Stablizer
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:02:49 -0600
Hi Richard,
After I'd determined that my "temperature problem" was actually due to a
faulty instrument voltage regulator (first its installation, and then the
device itself) I gutted it and put in a solid-state 10V regulator along with
the additional electronics that the regulator required. End of problems, and
I built that part in 1998.
The main thing with automotive electronics is how well the circuit is
designed to cope with transient voltages that appear due to wipers switching
on and off, changing loads on the alternator/generator, the ignition,
etcetera. Some regulators, such as the LM2940 series that I use in the tach
modules, are designed to work in a 12V automotive environment, and they
include internal protection features that keep it from being damaged due to
short voltage spikes. Others, such as the very common 78xx series
regulators, are not, and you have to add the protection parts externally, or
else the part may fizzle prematurely. Since I don't know what the seller put
inside his stabilizer, I can't say one way or the other, whether his part is
suitable for the job.

Best regards,
Theo