LED illumination for Smiths gauges.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: LED illumination for Smiths gauges.
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:17:46 -0600
Hi all,

I'd been pondering the gauge illumination problem (2W bulbs not bright
enough, 4W halogens too hot, LEDs too directional) for a while, and recently
found some new LEDs on the market, that allowed me to take a different
approach to the problem. The writeup is on TU at

<http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/SmitInstLED/SmitInstLED.asp>

It's still pretty much in the proof-of-concept stages but the illumination
especially on the smaller gauges is amazing. For the tach I'm still
considering doing a light ring in the back of the case, partially because of
the shadowing effect of the circuit board, and also because the tach is
actually pretty easy to disassemble.

Best regards,
Theo