Miles Prototype

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miles Prototype
From: <mjsutter@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 15:24:41 -0700
Listers,

Keith Martin's Sports Car Market rag has a short blurb on the auction results
for the Miles Prototype at RM Auctions Boca Raton sale.

Sold at $50,825

Description as written:

#SP18-1965 Sunbeam Tiger Prototype convertible. S/N B9109464, Deep Red/black
vinyl. Odo: 19,385 miles. 260-ci V8, Ford 2-sp auto; said to be original
powertrain. Vendor states this was Tiger Prototype #1 commissioned by Ian
Garrad and built by Ken Miles to test the Ford V8-powered Alpine/Tiger
concept. Show quality paint and chrome, excellent fit and finish. Interior is
easily nicer than new, no flaws found. Claimed $100,000 nut-and-bolt
restoration, and looks it. Must be among the top restored Sunbeams in the
world. Cond: 1-. SOLD AT $50,825.

Martin's comments on the sale:

"The auction company says that it is well vetted as a prototype; I'll take
their word for it. As one of the nicest if not the nicest Alpine/Tiger cars in
the world, and a prototype, I don't disagree with the final bid. However, I
don't think that means the next-nicest example is worth this much."

I have watched Martin's magazine for quite sometime to try and get a feel for
what his perception of the market is for Tigers. Having read his reviews on
all types of classics, and reading this, it appears to me that Tigers don't
carry a lot of clout in his opinion.  Whatever that's worth.

MS