Oil filter myths and legends

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filter myths and legends
From: "Travis Hall" <tigerboy65@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:40:57 -0400
I've heard that said of Fram over the years, as well as others.

Last year our club took a tour of Ethyl corp here in Richmond. They make all
the additives(among other things) for the different gas companies. That's a
story for another time. They have room after room of engines running on test
stands 24/7.

This question of oil filters came up and the Ethyl rep advised us that the
path through the oil filter on almost every engine made is optional. There
is a bypass in case of a clog and to keep oil flowing  when some owner may
never change a filter. Also, it helps keep your oil pressure up.  Like all
fluids, he stated, oil flows in the path of least resistance. Too many
filter layers (read more resistance) can result in less oil being filtered
on each pass. His advice, buy whatever filter they have in stock, the most
important thing is to change it every oil change.

I still have a favorite brand, but if they don't have it, I take his advise.

Travis
B9472584