Re: *%#! Dip Stick

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: *%#! Dip Stick
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 08:59:34 -0700
Sorry to take so long to respond to the dip stick question, took a
little time to "dig out" my info.
.
Everything (almost) you want to know about dip sticks.
David Franchi
.
As stated in previous posts, the Tiger parts book doesn't show a Ford
part number for the early Rootes #1224808 dip stick. Probably because
Ford didn't have a direct fit stick.
The Tiger stick has a shorter finger pull and is bent down for hood
clearance.
.
There is a dip stick which will work, Ford number C3OZ-6750-B. This has
the correct "Tiger" length with the correct flat finger pull, the only
problem is the finger pull is too long. The finger pull can be cut off
and re-curled (I made a jig to do this). Unfortunately this C3OZ-6750-B
stick is obsolete and is no longer available from Ford.
.
Another odd Tiger feature is the dip stick tube (Ford number C2OZ-6754-A
in the Tiger parts book) is not a "direct fit" for the Tiger, the tube
has to be re-bent to fit correctly, so it really shouldn't have a
regular Ford part number. Why show a Ford number for the "incorrect"
tube and not the "incorrect" stick?
.
In the past I bought lots of various Ford dip sticks trying to find the
correct style/length dip stick.
.
Sticks which will NOT work are: C2OZ-6750-B (wrong length).. C?OZ-6750-B
(yellow-finger pull is round not flat) I can't read 2nd digit on the
Ford label, stick has C4ZE-6750-A stamped on it.. 1965 289 Mustang dip
sticks, etc., or any Ford product after 1965.. The only "correct" flat
finger pull sticks are pre-1965. Later Ford oil dip sticks have round
finger pulls. (see photo links below).
.
The later MKIA and MKII dip stick (short finger pull) is shown in the
Tiger parts book with a Ford Part # C4JZ-6750-A (the Tiger MKI Rootes #
1224808 stick was superseded by this later short finger pull stick). I
was never able to buy one of these short finger pull dip sticks from
Ford. The "C4JZ" is an industrial part number and not available through
the regular Ford Dealer, it also wasn't available from my local Ford
Industrial Dealer.
.
My MKII dip stick (the one in the photo links) is also missing the
little bell top dust cover. I first thought it was knocked off, but it
can't be removed without smashing the "flared" section below. I have
seen other "short finger pull" Tiger sticks without the "bell/dust
cover" it is my opinion some/all? were made this way, why I don't know,
maybe because in 1966/1967 the Ford dip sticks were already upgraded to
the round style finger pull on "other" Ford products and Ford didn't
have any of the "bell/dust" covers left in stock so they sold Rootes
sticks without this part? Or Ford saw a chance to get "rid" of a bunch
of "reject" sticks?
.
ANY OTHER owners out there with sticks without the "bell/dust cover"?
.
Now what stick was used in the "LAT" chrome dress-up kit? :)  David
-------
PHOTO LINKS:
Short finger pull (Right) long (Left)
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/4748999/95330960.jpg
---
Short finger pull (Left) long (Right)
.
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/4748999/95330855.jpg
---
>From Left to Right:
Long finger pull Tiger.
.
Short finger pull Tiger.
.
C?OZ-6750-B (yellow).
.
1964 Ford (correct "Tiger" length, would need finger pull shortened.
.
1965 Mustang (289)
http://pic12.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/4748999/95331114.jpg